Although it is clear that our society as a whole has been deteriorating morally, and lying and deceit have become commonplace. In fact many people are so deluded that they begin to lie so much it seems like truth to them; that does not mean that we as Christians are to be desensitized to the seriousness of this sin. One particular place that our community has been ridden with lies is in the area of leadership and politics; our leaders have in some cases been particularly plagued by this problem-man’s dishonesty with each other, spreading lies about each other and others, slander of personal and professional reputations, and dishonesty in friendships/relationships.
I am resolved to believe that the majority of my people have grown up in fairly traditional Christian homes; and raised by fairly conservative Christian parents. Therefore you must all KNOW about lying. We all know what it is and that it’s a SIN but just for a reminder.. Let’s outline it in the words of the Bible:
What the bible says to all humanity about lying:
- “But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth.” – James 3:14
o This verse talks to us about lying to GET AHEAD or to FURTHER OUR OWN SELFISH AMBITIONS. It tells us that people who lie about others or about situations in order to get what they want are ARROGANT IN THE EYES OF THE LORD!
- “But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” – Revelation 21:8
o Not just some but ALL LIARS deserve the second death according to the bible. God is a JUST God, and although you may not lose your salvation by telling lies, your place in God’s eternal kingdom IS at stake. Besides which, how can any of us be SO ARROGANT as to think that our sins even as small as a lie are justified, when the Lord gave HIS LIFE to spare us from their consequence!
- “Truthful lips will be established forever, but a lying tongue is only for a moment.” – Proverbs 12:19
- “The wicked are estranged from the womb; these who speak lies go astray from birth.” – Psalm 58:3
What the bible says specifically to Christians about lying:
- “And you shall not swear falsely by My name, so as to profane the name of your God; I am the LORD.” – Leviticus 19:12
o DID YOU KNOW: that even though you may not say His name out loud when you INTENTIONALLY justify yourself in your lies, as a follower of Christ you are ALWAYS walking in His name.
- ”Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him” – Colossians 3:9-10
o When you accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour you MUST lay aside your old ways, being “only human” is not a justification for intentional sin.
What the bible says about bearing a false witness and spreading lies:
- “Like a club and a sword and a sharp arrow Is a man who bears false witness against his neighbour.” – Proverbs 25:18
o People who lie about others are like dangerous WEAPONS of evil.
- “A faithful witness will not lie, But a false witness speaks lies.” – Proverbs 14:5
- “A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who tells lies will perish.” – Proverbs 19:9
- “Do not be a witness against your neighbour without cause, And do not deceive with your lips.” – Proverbs 24:28
o Not only are you not to LIE but being a witness against others without cause is also wrong in the bible; jealousy or ambition is not a “cause” to degrade others.
What the bible says about association with liars and perjury:
- “Also let none of you devise evil in your heart against another, and do not love perjury; for all these are what I hate,' declares the LORD.” – Zechariah 8:17
o GOD HATES those that plan evil in their hearts for others and those that perjure themselves.
- “You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness.” – Exodus 23:1
o God’s law says that we SHOULD NOT bear false reports about others NOR should we be joining with others who do this. Is loyalty to man more important to us than our relationship with God? Friendships and relationships here on earth are so important to God and He wants us to have HEALTHY ones; people who use us in order to advance their ambitions and lead us to do sinful deeds for their benefit are NOT REAL FRIENDS. This is a lesson for EVERY age, from schoolchildren to the workplace, and in our community even in social situations.
So we all know this right? Then why are there still horrific lies being spread by some about others in our community? Has anyone ever appreciated being lied about? Lies are painful, hurtful sins. They damage reputations, they cause severe emotional and mental detriment to the victims and a great spiritual toll on those of us who are faithful men and women of God who partake in this sin.
Take a moment today to step back and think about all the lies you have said lately (and yes ALL of us have lied about something I’m sure). Ask God to forgive you and if you have the courage to do so, ask the people who you’ve lied about to forgive you as well. Most of all, be a real Christian and show some compassion to your fellow brothers and sisters and STOP LYING; especially our leaders, elders, our pastors, fathers and mothers. You are who others look to for direction; do not shame yourselves by entering into such sin, not only for the sake of the youth and new Christians, but for those in the world to whom you ARE the face of Jesus on Earth now. YOU REPRESENT CHRIST.